Can US doctors work in Australia

Similar Posts


  1. Good afternoon,

    I am a first year medical student at St. George’s University in Grenada which has been recognized by both WDOMS and AMC. I plan on specializing in anesthesiology and completing my residency back in America. What I wanted to know is would I be able to apply for the specialist pathway? Also, would I have to work in an area of need? Lastly, does this specialty have a good prospect for IMG’s seeking to practice in Australia and do I need to have prior experience as an attending to apply or would I be able to apply after I pass my boards? Any information would be greatly appreciated and I thank you for your time.

    1. That’s a lot of questions there Alexander.
      Let me start by answering the first one.
      If you complete specialty training in Anaesthetics in the USA then yes you are eligible to apply for the specialist pathway.
      It helps to have some consultant experience first. AoN is a rarity you don’t need it to apply.

  2. Hi Anthony,

    I’m a US physician who completed family medicine residency and have been working exclusively as a Hospitalist (hospital based Internal Medicine, admissions/rounding/discharges) in the USA for the past seven years. Would I be eligible to work in Australia? Could I work as a Hospitalist or as a GP in Australia? Thank you

    1. Hi Mikhail
      It’s likely going to be a problem applying to work as a GP here as you have not been working in that field for some time.
      Unfortunately, the area of Hospitalist medicine is not recognised in Australia.
      I have had other clients from the US have similar problems the other way round e.g. trained in Internal Medicine but working in more of a family medicine scope. In this case the RACP has not chosen to recognise them either.

  3. Hello!

    Quick question – is it possible to complete 4 year MD degree in US and then directly move to Australia and do a residency there? Is the 2 year residency in US an absolute?

    Thank you,

    1. Options for IMG doctors to enter the Australian system as an Intern are extremely limited. So yet its best to do 2 years in the US in an ACGME program.

  4. Hello Anthony,
    Can doctors who did their med school in india recognised by world directory of medical school but did their residency in family medicine in United States of America be considered for specialist pathway

    1. According to the RACGP if you have Certification of the American Board of Family Medicine you will be eligible for Partial Comparability.

  5. Hello Anthony!
    Quick question. I am a fully board certified DO Ob/Gyn. Completed all my training in the US and have been in private practice for 4 years. My husband is an Australian citizen and we are considering moving to be closer to family. Do you know the process for application and if there would be extra training involved to continue practicing as an Ob/Gyn?

    Thank you!!

    1. Hello Abby
      The process is called the specialist pathway. There is a free course on this over on my services site.

  6. Hi Anthony, do you know how likely a general surgeon who finished the five years of residency in the US is likely to get specialist recognition in Aus?

    1. US residency should be seen as roughly equivalent to Australian training. However, the definitions of general surgery can differ from country to country.

  7. Hi Anthony,
    I have a question. Internal Medicine Residency in US is 3 yr program.
    Won’t it make any problem in getting registration with AMC for competent authority or speciality pathways..?

    1. It won’t be an issue to get registered under the Competent Authority if you want to be a trainee in Australia. The length will be an issue for specialist assessment. I’d suggest doing some additional training such as a Fellowship on top.

  8. how about a doctor who did her primary MD degree in Australia and had two years of Internship in Australia PGY-1 and PGY-2 and then went USA to do a four residency in OB/GYN and then come back in Australia. Will she be deemed considered as qualified OB/ GYN or not?? or she will still have to do 6 years specialisation again through FRANZOG ?

    1. Hi Sarah such a doctor will be able to get general registration in Australia. If she has her American Boards she will have a chance with assessment by RANZCOG. But for some reason, RANZCOG have put in place a firm rule about having to do a 5-year formal program.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *