UK doctors working in Australia

Similar Posts


  1. Hi,
    I am a medical student and want to move to Australia as a doctor in emergency medicine in the future. I wanted to know would it be easier to move to Australia after my Foundation years or after I specialise in emergency.

    1. Hi John if you are graduating from the UK you could either come after F1 or F2 or after completing your CCST. Either are fine. Coming midway through training is not ideal as you won’t be able to get all your training recognised.

  2. Your website and videos have been very informative while researching a move to Australia.
    I am a consultant in the UK and wanted to ask what kind if registration is granted by AHPRA after you have demonstrated substantial comparability with the relevant college? Will it be a specialist registration or provisional? If provisional, is this accepted when applying for a permanent residency visa eg 186 – employer nominated scheme?

    1. Hello if you are a UK graduate it will be provisional registration. But only after you obtain a suitable position. You should talk to a migration agent or lawyer about PR. You normally need either general or specialist registration to be able to apply for PR.

  3. Hello Dr. Llewellyn

    Thank you very much for this informative blog post!

    I am an international medical graduate from Indonesia. I have cleared my PLAB exams and am granted full GMC registration with a license to practice in the UK. I am working as a locum doctor in a designated UK hospital at the moment (*My first job in the UK). However, my goal is to work in Australia eventually.

    According to my understanding from your blog, I can apply for a job as a doctor in Australia with my PLAB exam + 12 months of supervised NHS work experience.

    – May I know if working as a supervised locum doctor for 12 months in a designated UK hospital is acceptable? Or, is it only restricted to 12 months of supervised permanent employment?

    – Also, it isn’t specified whether or not these 12 months of supervised NHS work experience should be full time or part time. Can you kindly clarify this?

    I would really appreciate it if you can shed some light on this.

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

  4. Thank you for the explicit explanation. However, I am working in one of the private hospitals in the UK; I am a resident medical officer.
    My work involves me attending to postoperative patients and I have minimal contacts with my consultants.
    My question is will a 12-month experience of this kind of work suffice for “a minimum of 12 months practice in the UK”?

    1. I have come across other doctors working privately who have been able to supply satisfactory evidence from the UK. But your description does make me doubtful.

      From the MBA:

      Evidence of ‘supervised training (internship equivalent)’
      These explanatory notes are for IMGs who are applying for the competent authority pathway under
      category B who:
      • have never been granted full registration by the GMC or who cannot get a COGS from the GMC
      confirming full registration, and
      • do not have evidence of successfully completing the Foundation year 1 (FY1) in the UK (e.g.
      Foundation Achievement of Competency Document or Certificate of Experience), and
      • have completed ‘12 months supervised training (internship equivalent) in the UK’.
      There are two ways in which you can demonstrate that you meet the ‘12 months supervised training
      (internship equivalent) in the UK’ component of the eligibility criteria for category B (as per guidance initially
      provided in August 2015):
      1. Provide evidence of ‘12 months supervised practice/training in an Approved Practice Setting in the
      UK’. Acceptable evidence would include:
      a. confirmation in writing from the hospital(s) and/or employer(s) that you have satisfactorily
      completed 12 months supervised practice/training in the UK, and
      b. confirmation in writing from the hospital(s) and/or employer(s) that the practice setting is an
      ‘Approved Practice Setting’.1
      2. Provide evidence of ‘a minimum of 12 months practice in the UK’2. Acceptable evidence would
      a. confirmation in writing and/or certificate of service from the hospital(s) and/or employer(s)
      that you have had a minimum of 12 months practice in the UK.
      You will also need to provide evidence that you are a ‘Graduate of a United Kingdom medical program
      quality assured by the General Medical Council, and for courses conducted wholly or partially outside the
      UK, on a list published on the Medical Board of Australia’s website’

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *